‘Home’ Research: Reality

Thomas Demand

“Thomas Demand studied with the sculptor Fritz Schwegler, who encouraged him to explore the expressive possibilities of architectural models at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf, where Bernd and Hilla Becher had recently taught photographers such as Andreas Gursky, Thomas Struth, and Candida Höfer. Like those artists, Demand makes mural-scale photographs, but instead of finding his subject matter in landscapes, buildings, and crowds, he uses paper and cardboard to reconstruct scenes he finds in images taken from various media sources. Once he has photographed his re-created environments—always devoid of figures but often displaying evidence of recent human activity—Demand destroys his models, further complicating the relationship between reproduction and original that his photography investigates. “

Matthew Marks

27VOGEL-superJumbo9204_013

Although my main aspect of home life is my dogs, I also feel most comfortable when I am in my family house. This is the only house that I have ever lived in and this is a place where I feel the most safe. I researched Thomas Demand for inspiration of what in my house to take photos of and how to take them. Thomas Demand makes models out of cardboard and paper and then takes photographs of them. I like the simplicity of the images that he takes and how he creates an illusion that everything is natural, nothing is changed – as if he takes the images as the ‘locations’ are.

References:

Marks, M. (2016) Matthew Marks Gallery. New York. Available from http://www.matthewmarks.com/new-york/artists/thomas-demand/selected-works/#/images/3/ [accessed 12 April 2016]