‘Home’ Research: 4 Pawed Pinpoint

Alicia Rius

“Animals and photography have always been part of my life since I was a kid. My dad and aunt were avid photographers; and me, I was the crazy kid bringing home all sorts of animals.

My passion for animals has pushed me to explore their beauty and uniqueness. I want to capture the elusive mood of the animal’s personality and expressions, allowing them to be themselves with no promptings.

There is still a lot to be explored with my animal photography. I look to create vibrant and unique images in a classical way to evoke emotions in the viewer.”

Alicia Rius Photography  

To me, home means my family and my dogs. So when I was given this brief I knew that I wanted my dogs to feature heavily in them. A home would not be a home to me without them in it, and I wanted my images to reflect this. I researched a few photographers that specialised in images of dogs. I found a blog that featured pet photographers and their work, and on this I saw Alicia Rius’s photographs. The way she uses natural lighting and the dogs in their home inspired me when thinking of how to take images of my dogs. In her photos the dogs appear to be comfortable and happy in their surroundings, which is how I am when I am with my dogs.

References:

Rius, A. (2014) Frame Your Pet: Dog photography in San Francisco: Bosch & Bonz. Los Angeles, California. Available from http://www.frameyourpet.co/blog/2014/5/1/dog-photography-in-san-francisco-bosch-bonz [accessed 12 April 2016]